the original Pavilion
How to find us
Make a booking
• Old Pavilion
• New Pavilion
• Open days
• Opening weekend
|Trumpington Pavilion was originally built in the early 1950's as a sports pavilion to provide changing rooms and refreshments for local cricket and football teams playing on the King George V Playing Field. It served several generations well in this role, but suffered a gradual decline as most of these local teams disappeared.
This page has information about the original development in the 1950s; there is a separate page with photographs of the situation immediately before the renovation work.
We would be interested in building up a picture of the ways the building and sports field were used in the past with stories and photographs. Please let us know if you have any potential contributions.
King George V Playing Field, Paget Road
Cambridge CB2 9JF
tel.: 01223 847433 (mornings)
email: Trumpington Pavilion
|King George's Playing Field was purchased in 1951, as part of a network of playing fields established by the King George’s Fields Foundation as a memorial to George V. An appeal was launched shortly after the King's death in March 1936, with the National Playing Fields Association as Trustee. The development of the area is shown on Ordnance Survey maps from 1950 (left) and 1954 (right).|
|Play area and tennis court, King George's Field. Photos: Andrew Roberts, November 2007.|
|Copyright © 2009, Trumpington Residents’ Association. Updated 28 October 2009.
Trumpington Residents’ Association. A Company Limited by Guarantee. Company Number 6729377. Registered in England. Registered Office: Trumpington Pavilion, Paget Road, Trumpington, Cambridge CB2 9JF.
Pavilion email: email@example.com. TRA email: firstname.lastname@example.org.